Saturday, December 21, 2013

PR Exec Going to Africa: "Hope I don't get AIDS. Just kidding. I'm white!"

Justine Sacco is the Senior Public Relations Director for media conglomerate IAC, who runs Vimeo, OKCupid, Match.com, DailyBeast, and CollegeHumor. She was flying to South Africa and tweeted this gem:

Going to Africa. Hope I don't get AIDS. Just kidding. I'm white! Justine Sacco (@JustineSacco) December 20, 2013

Hilarious.

The company said they will investigate. (Actually, update... they just fired her.) I am shocked that someone that clueless and racist can rise that high up in a company, in public relations no less.

This followed a tweet about people in London having "bad teeth".

Going back through her tweets, she often posts insensitve and stupid comments, like this one last year, on Feburay 24, 2012:

I had a sex dream about an autistic kid last night. #fml Justine Sacco (@JustineSacco),

I can't believe a media company was unaware of this crap for this long. And I firmly believe they are only responding now because of the backlash.

I'm wondering if FoxNews will be outraged and conservatives will speak of her 1st amendment rights being squashed. She has every right to speak her ignorant, bigoted mind. But like her Duck Dynasty cohort, freedom of speech DOES NOT mean freedom from consequences. A private company doesn't have to keep you if you make dumb statements.

What I find ironic is the person who would normally have to handle this fallout would be her.

Post-racial America my ass.

UPDATE:H/t Mrsgoo: this meme has taken off #HasJustineLandedYet.

Also, some clever person bought the domain http://justinesacco.com/. It routes to an AIDS/HIV charity.

UPDATE 2: Apparently she was going to South Africa to visit relatives. Justine Sacco's father is Desmond Sacco, a South African billionaire who profited off apartheid. Don't worry she will be just fine.

1 comment :

  1. www.justinesacco.com is actually a general site for aid to Africa, including but by no means exclusively AIDS/HIV.

    ReplyDelete