Saturday, September 23, 2006

I'm a Democrat Because...

The following is a list of responses from Democrats themselves. I got the idea from the first-rate, professional advertisement our county chairman made which showed local Democrats expressing why they stand with the Democratic Party. She is donating it to other Dem county parties, as well as putting together many new vehicles to get our message out, including a new show.

In the meeting, she challenged a room full of party supporters to think about and express why they are Democrats. I posed that very question on a diary that was featured on America’s most popular webblog, the DailyKos. I received a ton of responses, some of which are printed here.

If you have any to add, feel free. It may be used in a future advertisement.
Just take a moment and think. Finish this statement:

I am a Democrat because…

. ..I strongly believe in effective and open government that promotes our Constitutional values.

…I believe in helping those who need it most, not who need it least.

…I am serious about national security.

…I believe in fairness and the right of every person to vote and be heard.

…I believe in the Geneva Conventions.

…I care about the health of the environment.

…I believe in the value of human life.

…I believe in basic human dignity.

…I believe in balancing budgets.

…I believe in accountability.

…I believe in “The Buck Stops Here”.

…I strongly believe in honesty in government.

…I don’t think I’m more important than everyone else.

…I believe We the People means all of us, not just corporate CEOs.

…I believe in fairness and opportunity for ALL.

…I know the difference between right and wrong.

…I believe that we are all in this together.

…I believe that citizens should have more power than corporations.

…I believe that the freedoms enshrined in the Constitution need the most protection when we are threatened. This burden will always fall on the Democratic politicians.

…I believe in Liberty and Justice for all.

…I am Hopeful not Fearful for the Future.

…I want my kids to swim in rivers and play in fields.

…I want free and fair elections.

…I want a living wage.

…this country was founded on a commonwealth principle.

… I learned how to share.

… I will always stand by the Constitution.

…I reject fear of terrorism, and I refuse to fear our freedoms.

…I believe in tolerance and am not threatened by the free exchange of ideas.

…I believe in and stand by our veterans. I believe that they should be given the tools, armor, and strategies needed to win the battles, instead of just being exploited in speeches.

…I believe in fiscal responsibility.

…I believe in freedom from government intrusion in our private lives.

…I believe in Active diplomacy and working through alliances.

…I respect the rule of law domestically and internationally.

…I believe in the protection of individual (not just states', not just corporate) rights.

… I think the minimum wage should be $15 an hour, not $5.

… I believe no government should tell me what I can or can't do with my body.

…I believe tax breaks should help the middle-class, not the wealthiest.

… I’m tired of the culture of corruption, the lies, and the incompetence.

… at least one party needs to represent the middle-class and the working people.

…I believe that racism and the new subtle racism is wrong.

...Jesus said, “Whatever you do to the least of my brethren you do to me.”

…I am patriotic American who is not intimidated by new ideas or dissenting opinions.

…I believe that people should come before special interests.

… I believe that when the condition of the least of us is improved, the condition of all of us is improved.

…I believe that the purpose of government is to set the conditions where each and every one of us is allowed to develop to their full potential and share fully in the blessings of liberty.

…I believe diplomacy should be the first option, and since we will not always succeed in achieving security through dialogue, we must maintain a strong defense capability.

…I believe in the rule of law and the sanctity of the Constitution of the United Sates of America.

…I was taught to respect my fellow human beings; and because I have come to the conclusion that the moral justification for breaking that rule was never "because I said so"; and finally, because I also learned that living in fear of an event that may never come is not living at all.
But most of all, I am a Democrat, because the Republican Party believes the opposite of all three to be true.

2 comments :

  1. Wanted to share an email I got from Nikki Martin:

    Nice blog. I read your previous ones too. I have to agree, there is a conspiracy going on. Unfortunately the stupids are in control and everyone else is just following in lock step. How often do our kids listen to us "just because we said so?" So why would smart adults in a free society let that be okay as an explanation for everything?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another email, from Seminole resident curmudgeon Neil Patten:

    A Democrat wants to control creative accounting by enforcing the law. A republican wants to control creative accounting by making it legal. That's my definition.

    ReplyDelete